According to a report issued by the World Bank, Pakistan has improved the business environment in the country and has jumped 28 ranks in the global ‘ease of doing business’ list. The government had taken several key initiatives that have helped the country in achieving this status. The officials have said that Pakistan would improve a further 20 ranks in 2020. The country currently stands at 108th place and has become one of the world’s top 10 business reformers. The initiatives taken by Pakistan are as follows:
- Pakistan developed a reform strategy and set up a national secretariat as well as a PM’s reforms steering committee.
- Pakistan made tax collection easier by using technology in tax collection institutions and introduced mobile applications, through which the process for filing taxes was made much easier.
- Obtaining electricity connections in the country was made easier by introducing service delivery time frames and launching an online portal for new applications.
- Obtaining construction permits in the country became easier through streamlining of the approval process. The construction process became safer as regular quality checks are being ensured.
- The cross-border trade became much easier as the country introduced Web-based one customs (WEBOC) system at the ports.
- The property registration process became much easier due to the increased transparency in the registration process.